85 Campers, 20 Volunteers and Over 15 Teaching Artists
Our 16th Annual (D2GB) Dare to Go Beyond Performing Arts Camp was once again a remarkable experience for our participants. What a great reminder of the power and impact of the arts in young lives and how much these young lives can teach all of us.
During our 5 day camp, our group of 85 participants learned Mexican Dance, Salsa, Improv, Jazz, Hip-hop, and more. In partnership with the Harriet Tubman Effect, we went to see Once Upon a More Time on Broadway and concluded our camp at the Puerto Rican Traveling Theatre in Times Square.
Check out what happened:
- We had 5 inspiring days with 4 Team Directors, 4 Team Captains, and over 15 additional professional teaching artists from Broadway and the New York City theater industry.
- We had a diverse group of artists representing who we are and being so inspired by our unique process.
- We walked from 34th Street to 45th Street to the Marriot Marquis with 85 kids and 25 teachers, parents and chaperones through Times Square to see Once Upon A One More Time on Broadway.
- We provided for some of these kids the opportunity to see their first musical and probably the first trip to Times Square.
- We connected artists and created a space for collaboration.
- We built a community… Parents are KEY in this process, their willingness to help and jump to support each other, is something we as an organization love.
- We learned and sang a remix of 3 songs, chosen by our team of directors and created by the music department.
- We concluded our camp at the historic Puerto Rican Traveling Theater on Times Square sharing with our young kids history, legacy and the importance of this place for our community.
Thank you to the organizations, artists, volunteers, parents that made this camp possible. The generous support of the Herman Gold man Foundation and the amazing Broadway Cares Family whose unwavering support is never ending.
This program is supported by
The Herman Goldman Foundation.
Our Diverse Team of Artists:
GROUP DIRECTORS & CAPTAINS:
Facundo Agustin, Nicky Quirindongo, Maria Lozada-Belisario, Misha Morales, Mario Peguero, Natalia Peguero, Michael Anthony Sylvester, Mayelah Barrera, Juliana Betancur. Music Directors; Justin Ramos (Here Lies Love) and Saul Nache (Hip Hop Cinderella).
TEACHING ARTISTS: Ehizoje Azeke (Beyonce, Queen of the Damn), Charles Browning (The Piano Lesson), Michael Fielder (In The Heights), Gabriela Garcia (CHICAGO), Anna Guerra (Cabaret), Renata Eastlick (voice of “Caveira” Rainbow Six: Siege -video game), Jose Ozuna (Ailey Extension), Shani Talmor (On Your Feet), Alberto Lopez (Capulli), Ray Mercer (Lion King), Nando Morland (DANCIN’), Sunilda Reyes (BILLIONS – HBO), and Jeremey Rey (On Your Feet! The story of Emilio & Gloria Estefan Broadway).
SPECIAL GUEST ARTISTS
Gaby Albo from the current 2nd National Tour of On Your Feet! The Story of Gloria and Emilio Estefan, Estibalitz Ruiz from the Spanish version A Chorus Line, Angel Sigala from the Broadway musical New York, New York
Photos By: Krystal Pagan
Video By: Claudia Mulet