Amigo Duende the first musical theater piece produced by R.Evolución Latina.
Directed & Choreographed by LUIS SALGADO – Music and Lyrics by JOSHUA HENRY
Book Adaptation by LUIS SALGADO, JOSHUA HENRY, & HEATHER HOGAN
Based on the play by FLAVIA LUGO DE MARICHAL – Produced in Collaboration with Salgado Productions – Art With a Purpose!
Thanks to our collaboration with Salgado Productions, R.Evolución Latina was able to bring live theater to approximately 4000 children and families through it’s first musical production, Amigo Duende which took place at El Museo del Barrio on October 4-7, 2012.
We want to thank all of our volunteers, sponsors and supporters for helping us fulfill our dream of inspiring and empowering our Latino community through the Arts.
Here are some facts about our impact through Amigo Duende:
- We reached 1905 kids from 14 new schools around NYC (East Harlem, Washington Heights, Bronx, Manhattan, Yonkers)
- We reached 13 new Latino and non Latino organizations in the community and gave away 640 tickets to kids and families that couldn’t afford theater.
- Over 45 Broadway artists and Latinos on Broadway supported our mission by joining us at the Opening Night Celebration.
- Amigo Duende’s Puerto Rican writer Flavia Lugo de Marichal, 85 years old, came from PR to see how her story still lives and continues to inspire thousands of kids 60 years later.
- We increased RL’s visibility with media support such as Telemundo 47, Diario la Prensa, Univision Radio, Broadwayworld, NY Times among other media supporters.
- We supported El Museo del Barrio by bringing kids and families to their facilities and introduced the Museum to new audiences.
It’s the night before first grade begins and Marisa is faced with an important choice. Will she be able to enjoy her larger-than-life world of adventures with her best friend Remolino, a wisecracking elf, or will she be forced to leave behind her childhood fantasies and become a grown-up? Nothing is impossible in Amigo Duende, a modern-day fairy tale based on the classic story by Flavia Lugo De Marichal where your favorite childhood toys sing and dance, fantasies become reality, and a little girl fights to keep imagination alive in a world daring her to grow up fast.
Email from a teacher:
“It was a great experience for my students – and it happened so quickly! I know they enjoyed seeing “live” actors and actresses actually performing. When I asked each class if any of them had been to a play before – all said NO. My classes are young teens – all about 13 years old. The experience taught me some things about my students – and one being that they didn’t know how or when to applaud!! It wasn’t that they didn’t find it enjoyable – they just have such a lack of experience in this area. Today – in my math class – we talked about the aspects of the theater – the stage set up, the props, the microphones, the lighting, and the orchestra. I wished I took a few minutes to have them look over the “pit” – to see the musicians. They didn’t realize the extent of all that is involved with a live production. Some students knew the story was meant for a younger audiences – but realized the important message about “Your Imagination” and growing up. It was truly a learning experience in many ways. Thank you for this opportunity.”
Email from Organization leader:
“The show was MAGICAL! We appreciated the high quality of the production, the acting, the beautiful story, the opportunity for low-income families with scarce exposure to the arts to be part of it…everything!!! Kids were enchanted, all parents commented on how grateful they were for the experience and how much they have enjoyed the performance. I can’t thank you enough for it!”
Stay tuned for more on Amigo Duende in 2013!
Amigo Duende Cast
Creative & Production Team
Scenic Design -Kate Rance, Costume Design -Harry Nadal, Lighting Design -Herrick Goldman, Projection Design -Manuel de la Portilla, Sound Design -Michael Eisenberg, Graphic Design -Víctor Rodríguez, Puppet Design -Miron Gusso, General Manager -Julie Miller, Production Stage Manager -Justyn Wade, Technical Director -Ashanti Ziths
Asst. Director -Heather Hogan, Asst. Choreographer -Valeria Cossu, Asst. to Costume Designer -Rachel Townsend, Assoc. Lighting Designer -Susan Nicholson, Assoc. Sound Designer -Josh Millican, Asst. Stage Manager -Annie Ford, Music Department Asst. -Harold Gutiérrez
- Minimum admission age: 3 years old
- Run time: 1hr, 15 min – With 1 Intermission
- This musical is performed by adults, in English
- Proceeds will help RL’s vision of expanding our educational programs
Amigo Duende Workshops
We are excited to share that on May 18th, R.Evolución Latina, in collaboration with Salgado Productions completed it’s very first developmental workshop of the new musical Amigo Duende. Parents, teachers, producers, members of the artistic community, and children joined us in this process to provide feedback for the creative team to continue developing the story, music and characters for our audience of all ages. The success of this process was also due to the talented cast of 18 actors comprised of Broadway performers to our very own Beyond Workshop Series students, who gave life to the characters of Amigo Duende. This workshop was the perfect example of the value in fusing Salgado Production’s idea of ART WITH A PURPOSE and a DARE TO GO BEYOND approach.
To see more pictures of the Amigo Duende workshop CLICK HERE
Amigo Duende in the Press
8.25.12 : Playbill
- Joshua Henry, Heather Hogan and Luis Salgado’s Amigo Duende Will Receive World Premiere in NYC; Casting Announced
8.25.12 : Theatermania
New Musical Amigo Duende by Joshua Henry, Heather Hogan, and Luis Salgado to Premiere at El Museo Del Barrio
8.25.12 : Broadwayworld
AMIGO DUENDE Premieres 10/5 at El Museo del Barrio
9.18.12 : Latinoamérica, MSN
- Cuento infantil “Amigo duende” debutará en Nueva York como musical
9.19.2012 : El Diario
- Un clásico de la literatura infantil en Puerto Rico debutará en Nueva York como un musical de la mano de Luis Salgado.
Principal Media Sponsor
For sponsorships opportunities contact us at email@example.com
Amigo Duende is a R.Evolución Latina production in collaboration with Salgado Productions and is based on the children’s play by Puertorican writer, actress, and educator, Flavia Lugo de Marichal. Amigo Duende will be presented in October 2012 at New York’s leading Latino cultural institution, El Museo del Barrio. With music and lyrics by Tony Award Nominee Joshua Henry, and direction and choreography by Luis Salgado, Amigo Duende strives to raise the bar of Latino theater productions while encouraging the artistic Latino community to dare to go beyond!